Welcome!

Welcome to the Root Beer Rundown. Over the last few years, I've had a lot of fun drinking a lot of root beer and posting my root beer reviews for your reading pleasure. Use the tools on the right to see the complete history of my reviews, find all the brews within a given scoring range, or simply search for your favorite brew to see if it's one I've reviewed. I always like to hear what other root beer lovers like and dislike about different brews, so feel free to sound off in the comments of the reviews. I've also provided some links to a few other great root beer resources. Let me know if I've missed any so I can add them to the list. Enjoy the site!

Friday, November 13, 2009

Come Along On A Root Beer Road Trip

So we're preparing for our annual pilgrimage to the Great White North for Thanksgiving. By last count, I think we'll be passing through portions 12 states on the trip: GA, TN, KY, IL, MO, IA, MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, and OH. We added a few states to the route this year. In our quest to get the kids to all 50 states before they graduate, we're swinging a little bit west to check 3 more states (MO, IA, and MN) off the list.

Of course, this westward swing has a few fringe benefits. First, we'll be stopping in Des Moine so I can run in the Living History Farms cross country race. Check out the race website, because it looks to be a really cool race. Second, after the race we're headed up to the Twin Cities where we'll get to visit with one of my best high school buddies and hit the Mall of America. Third, and most importantly, this little jaunt west will give me the opportunity to pick up a few new root beers to bring home and review!

So here's the plan -- I'm hoping to pick up some Fitz's when we pass through St. Louis. Then, when we get into Iowa, I'm hoping to track down some Millstream. In the Twin Cities, I want to get my hands on some Dorothy's Isle of Pines and some Killebrews. I'm also planning to get a mug (or two) of the elusive 1919 root beer at a favorite restaurant of ours later on in the week when we pass through Iron River, MI. This stuff is not available in bottles or cans, so you either have to buy a keg of it, or find it on tap somewhere. The Zippidy Duda restaurant in Iron River has it on tap, and I aim to drink some and hopefully remember to jot down a few notes so I can post a review of it when we get back home.

I need your help here. Can anyone tell me where I can get my hands on the brands I've mentioned above as we're passing through these states? Also, are there some other brands that I'm just not aware of that are available in these areas? Our approximate route will look something like this: Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville, Paducah (KY), St. Louis, Des Moines, Minneapolis, Wausau (WI), Northern WI, Green Bay, Chicago, Indy, Cincinnati, Lexington (KY), Atlanta.

Thanks for your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment