Welcome!

Welcome to the Root Beer Rundown. Over the last few years, I've had a lot of fun drinking a lot of root beer and posting my root beer reviews for your reading pleasure. Use the tools on the right to see the complete history of my reviews, find all the brews within a given scoring range, or simply search for your favorite brew to see if it's one I've reviewed. I always like to hear what other root beer lovers like and dislike about different brews, so feel free to sound off in the comments of the reviews. I've also provided some links to a few other great root beer resources. Let me know if I've missed any so I can add them to the list. Enjoy the site!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Renzy Roo Brew -- The Review!









Who Made This Stuff?     We did!

Website:                            You're looking at it.

Where’d It Come From?  My kitchen

Review Date:                    9/8/10
Commentary:  After 3 full days of fermentation/carbonation in the basement and a week in the fridge, it was finally time to test the latest edition of our homebrewed root beer, Renzy Roo Brew.

We were thrilled to see that the carbonation level was almost right on.  It produced a nice head when poured.  The head didn't stick around too long, but at least we were able to get a picture of it.  There was still some carbonation left in there while we were drinking it, but it could have used a little more.

The flavor was okay.  We detected some yeastiness, but it wasn't overpowering.  I think the sweetness level was about right.  However, I think the flavor wasn't quite strong enough.  It definitely had a solid wintergreen base.  We had added some vanilla to the brew, and I think that helped to cut the wintergreen a little.  I just think we need to use a little more root beer extract next time.  I may add more maltodextrin next time as well.

All in all, I am very pleased with this batch.  Considering the fact that our first two attempts were not too successful, I'd say we did really well this time.  It is definitely drinkable, has good carbonation, and the sweetness level was good.  We just need to add a little more flavor punch next time around.  I am happy about two things:  1) We don't have to pour the rest of the batch down the drain, and  2) We have identified a couple things we can work on for next time.

So, how will I score our own root beer?  Since we have room for improvement, I'll give it score of.....................................71.

Has anyone else out there tried to brew your own root beer?  How did it turn out?  Any tips you'd like to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment