Welcome!

Welcome to the Root Beer Rundown. Over the last few years, I've had a lot of fun drinking a lot of root beer and posting my root beer reviews for your reading pleasure. Use the tools on the right to see the complete history of my reviews, find all the brews within a given scoring range, or simply search for your favorite brew to see if it's one I've reviewed. I always like to hear what other root beer lovers like and dislike about different brews, so feel free to sound off in the comments of the reviews. I've also provided some links to a few other great root beer resources. Let me know if I've missed any so I can add them to the list. Enjoy the site!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

III Dachshunds Old Fashioned Root Beer


Who Made This Stuff?           III Dachshunds Beer Company

Website:                                          www.3dachshundsbeer.com

Where’d It Come From?       City Lounge, Cudahy, WI

Review Date:                                   8/10/13

Commentary:  Don't be fooled by the spelling of the name on this one.  Those are Roman numerals.  It's not "ill Dachshunds", it's "3 Dachshunds".  No sick doggies here.  I learned about this root beer last fall as we prepared for another road trip to WI.  I had never heard of it before, but I'm always up for trying new brews so I made a point to stop by City Lounge in Cudahy to pick up a six pack as we passed by on our way north.  That trip was several months ago, so I was a little concerned that this one might have lost a little somethin' somethin' after sitting in the fridge for so long.  As it turns out, I had nothing to worry about.

I didn't pick up any distinct aroma when I opened this bottle.  I didn't take that as a good sign.  However, everything changed when I poured it into my frosty mug.  The head on this thing was huge!  After a minute or so, it settled down to just "large" and it was awesomely frothy.

From the first sip to the last, this root beer had a sweet, classic root beer flavor with just the right balance of creamy vanilla-ness and spice.  It is super smooth.  This is good stuff!  The carbonation is spot-on.  We've already discussed the head on this thing.  The bubbles in here are tiny -- just the way I like 'em.  That just adds to the smoothness. The carbonation held on all the way through to the bottom of my mug.  I even had to take about a 10 minute break in the middle of this review (to unload groceries) and when I came back, bubbles were still there.  Awesome.

This root beer doesn't attempt anything crazy or make any real stretches in the flavor department.  It aims directly at traditional, creamy root beer flavor and nails it.  This is a top-shelf root beer for me.  I will definitely buy more the next time I'm headed for WI and I would definitely serve it to friends, though I may reserve it for those few friends who can truly appreciate a great root beer.

III Dachshunds earns high marks from me.  I'm going to give this one a score of...................................................................94.

Anyone else out there ever had the pleasure of drinking this stuff?  Was your experience as awesome as mine?  Let me hear from you!     

No comments:

Post a Comment