Welcome!

Welcome to the Root Beer Rundown. Over the last few years, I've had a lot of fun drinking a lot of root beer and posting my root beer reviews for your reading pleasure. Use the tools on the right to see the complete history of my reviews, find all the brews within a given scoring range, or simply search for your favorite brew to see if it's one I've reviewed. I always like to hear what other root beer lovers like and dislike about different brews, so feel free to sound off in the comments of the reviews. I've also provided some links to a few other great root beer resources. Let me know if I've missed any so I can add them to the list. Enjoy the site!

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Dang! That's Good Butterscotch Root Beer


Who Made This Stuff?           Imperial Flavors Beverage Co., 
                                                               Milwaukee, WI
Website:                                          www.imperialflavors.com

Where’d It Come From?       Mars Cheese Castle, Kenosha, WI

Review Date:                                   9/17/13

Commentary:  I really liked this one's brother, the standard Dang! That's Good root beer, so I'm hoping this one will be good too.  However, I don't really know what to expect here.  What exactly is a butterscotch root beer, anyway?  I'd never heard of this flavor combination until I found this one on the shelf at the Mars Cheese Castle.  Let's open this one and see what it's all about, shall we?

When I opened the bottle and caught the aroma, I immediately detected licorice but then I noticed a very subtle butterscotch smell.  It's interesting that the butterscotch came second.  When I poured it in the mug, it did produce a respectable head (as you can see in the photo) but it just didn't stick around very long.

The first sip, like the aroma, started with the taste of licorice but then quickly changed to the butterscotch flavor which carried through to the aftertaste.  The taste really reminds me of those yellow butterscotch hard candies.  You know the ones...wrapped in the little yellow cellophane wrappers...yeah, those. I wasn't expecting that, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  I was hoping for a more traditional butterscotch flavor.  The carbonation level is good and the bubbles are tiny.

Before I even opened it, I was wondering if this brew might end up tasting more like a cream soda, but it really does try to stick to its root beer roots.  The butterscotch isn't overpowering, but it is certainly present.  There is a small bite to this one right at the start, but it doesn't last long at all and everything quickly transitions the butterscotch candy aftertaste.  The creaminess is sort of middle-of-the road -- not overdoing things one way or the other.  As I work my way through this mug the carbonation is holding out okay, but not great.

I think I really wanted to like this one -- partly because I actually really like butterscotch and partly just because this one is a bit off the beaten path.  In the end, I was a disappointed by the candy-like taste of this one rather than the traditional butterscotch flavor I was hoping for.

Bottom line -- the next time I have a choice between a regular Dang! That's Good root beer and one of these butterscotch root beers, I'll stick with the regular brew.  It was a nice change of pace, but I don't think I could drink very many of these.  It's not bad, it's just not for me.  Maybe it will be a winner for you, so give it a try if you ever come across one.

It's time to give this one a score, so I think I'll give it a...............................................................................................71.

Have you ever tried this one?  Ever had any other butterscotch brews?  What did you think?  Does the thought of a butterscotch drink make you gag just a little?

1 comment:

  1. As someone who truly enjoys the butterscotch hard candies, seriously, they're heavenly, I truly enjoyed this when I had it on a recent trip. While the butterscotch candy flavor is very present, if that's what you're going for, it does it well. Root beer itself is good, and for those going for a slightly milder flavor, this lends itself to that.

    Does tend toward the flat side after a while though.

    ReplyDelete