Welcome!

Welcome to the Root Beer Rundown. Over the last few years, I've had a lot of fun drinking a lot of root beer and posting my root beer reviews for your reading pleasure. Use the tools on the right to see the complete history of my reviews, find all the brews within a given scoring range, or simply search for your favorite brew to see if it's one I've reviewed. I always like to hear what other root beer lovers like and dislike about different brews, so feel free to sound off in the comments of the reviews. I've also provided some links to a few other great root beer resources. Let me know if I've missed any so I can add them to the list. Enjoy the site!

Monday, December 2, 2013

Flying Cauldron Butterscotch Beer


Who Made This Stuff?           Reeds, Inc. 
                                                               Los Angeles, CA
Website:                                          reedsinc.com

Where’d It Come From?       don't know

Review Date:                                   11/28/13

Commentary:  Let me start by stating, right up front, that this is one beverage I would not have purchased on my own.  This one was a gift, so I sorta feel obligated to review it.  This may be the one and only butterscotch beer, anywhere.  I've recently reviewed a butterscotch root beer, but at least that one was trying to be a root beer.  This one looks like it makes no such attempts.  It's brought to us by Reeds, the same nice folks who brought us Virgil's Root Beer (some fine stuff) as well as some awful, awful ginger beer.  Upon further review, the label states that this is a "butterscotch cream soda."

What, exactly, do you do with a butterscotch beer?  What is the protocol here?  I'm not sure if a frosty mug is in order, but that's what I've got, so that's what I'm going with.

When I poured it in the mug, it produced almost no head.  I can't hold that against it though, now can I?  Since it's not a root beer, I'm not sure I can hold it to the same standards.  This stuff looks and smells exactly like your grandma's butterscotch candies.  That's fine for the first few sips.  I'm not sure I want to drink a whole bottle of those candies, though.

The carbonation didn't last very long in this one.  The sweetness is just overpowering.  There isn't any sort of bite in here, but again, I'm not sure there should be.  I'm sorry.  I just can't finish this one.   

Nothing left to do here but rate it.  I'll give it a..............................................................................40. 

No comments:

Post a Comment