Welcome!

Welcome to the Root Beer Rundown. Over the last few years, I've had a lot of fun drinking a lot of root beer and posting my root beer reviews for your reading pleasure. Use the tools on the right to see the complete history of my reviews, find all the brews within a given scoring range, or simply search for your favorite brew to see if it's one I've reviewed. I always like to hear what other root beer lovers like and dislike about different brews, so feel free to sound off in the comments of the reviews. I've also provided some links to a few other great root beer resources. Let me know if I've missed any so I can add them to the list. Enjoy the site!

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Henry Weinhard's Root Beer

Who Made This Stuff?           Blitz-Weinhard Gourmet Soda                                                                       Company,  Ft. Worth, TX

Where’d It Come From?       Bristol Farms, San Francisco, CA

Review Date:                                 4/30/14

Commentary:  I'm out in San Francisco at the moment.  As soon as I booked my flight out here I started looking forward to getting my hands on a few bottles of the this awesomeness.  I've had this stuff a few times before, but never got around to writing a review of it.  I apologize for the quality of the photo.  I had to take it with my phone here in the hotel room.  

I picked up a nice spicy aroma when I opened the bottle.  I detected just a hint of licorice scent in there, but not too strong.  I didn't have a frosty mug or pint glass here, so I had to make do with one of the water glasses available in the hotel room -- at least it's glass instead of plastic.  When I poured it in the small glass, it immediately produced a nice foamy head that lingered for quite a while despite the fact that there really wasn't much in the glass to begin with. 


The first sip was great.  This brew starts smooth, is sweet and creamy in the middle, and has a just-right bite on the back end to finish it off.  The level of spice is just right, for me.  I didn't detect any overwhelming individual flavors, just a great, balanced blend.

This brew kept its carbonation for long time.  It has the nice tiny bubbles I like and after several minutes, there was still a nice ring of foam in the glass. When I poured a second glass full to finish off the bottle, it produced an enormous head, even bigger than the first, and seemed to hang around like it was trying to set some sort of record for longevity.

I liked this one...a lot.  You'll like it too, I promise.  If you see this one in the store, buy it.  You will not be disappointed.  If it turns out that you actually are disappointed, I'll accept full blame.  

I'll score this one as.......................................................................................95
 
Have you tried this one?  What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment