Welcome!

Welcome to the Root Beer Rundown. Over the last few years, I've had a lot of fun drinking a lot of root beer and posting my root beer reviews for your reading pleasure. Use the tools on the right to see the complete history of my reviews, find all the brews within a given scoring range, or simply search for your favorite brew to see if it's one I've reviewed. I always like to hear what other root beer lovers like and dislike about different brews, so feel free to sound off in the comments of the reviews. I've also provided some links to a few other great root beer resources. Let me know if I've missed any so I can add them to the list. Enjoy the site!

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Mountain Top Soda Pop Root Beer

Who Made This Stuff?           Blue Ridge Pure Water, Inc.                                                                                     Anderson, SC                                                                                                             www.blueridgepure.com

Where’d It Come From?       The Pot Belly Deli, Clemson, SC

Review Date:                                 3/1/15

Commentary:  I pick up this root beer on a recent college visit to Clemson.  I highly recommend The Pot Belly Deli if you ever find yourself in Clemson, SC -- great sandwiches.  But, we're not here to talk about sandwiches.  

When I first twisted the top off this bottle, I picked up a light wintergreen aroma and just a little bit of spice.  Nothing overwhelming, and nothing particularly inviting.  When poured into my glass, it produced a short-lived, fizzy head.  It was a lot like any other soda.  Lots of big bubbles that disappeared almost as quickly as they arrived.  No foam or froth at all.  Not a great way to start.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised when the name of the product includes the words "soda pop." 

The first several sips are just sweet.  Very sweet.  That's really all there is to say about them.

The carbonation is on the light side.  The root beer isn't flat, though.  There are almost no bubbles forming on the sides of the pint glass.  On the plus side, after getting about half-way through the glass, the carbonation is still there.  The bubbles are tiny, which I prefer.

Sweet.  Still very sweet.  At the half-way point, that remains the defining characteristic of this root beer.  As far as flavor, I think I'll have to go with something like a light Wint-o-green taste.  There is no bite to this at all, no rooty-ness, no spices.  It isn't creamy either.

There really isn't anything notable or memorable about this root beer.  It isn't bad, it really just isn't a special one.  I think it's saving grace is that it's made with real sugar so I'm not getting any syrupy mouth-feel. 

After a little research, it appears that this company probably produces this same root beer under a number of different labels.  I guess that means I'll eventually run into it again someday under a different name.  Wow.  I can hardly wait.   

So in summary, this one is sweet, has no bite, and is not distinctive.  No hard feelings, Mountain Top, but I'm just not that into you.

I'll give this one a score of..............................................................................68

Has anyone else hiked to the Mountain Top?  What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment