Welcome!

Welcome to the Root Beer Rundown. Over the last few years, I've had a lot of fun drinking a lot of root beer and posting my root beer reviews for your reading pleasure. Use the tools on the right to see the complete history of my reviews, find all the brews within a given scoring range, or simply search for your favorite brew to see if it's one I've reviewed. I always like to hear what other root beer lovers like and dislike about different brews, so feel free to sound off in the comments of the reviews. I've also provided some links to a few other great root beer resources. Let me know if I've missed any so I can add them to the list. Enjoy the site!

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Dominion Root Beer


Who Made This Stuff?           Old Dominion Brewing Co.

Where’d It Come From?       Huck's General Store, Blue Ridge, GA

Review Date:                                 3/1/15

Commentary:  We made a trip up to Blue Ridge, GA a few weekends ago for a long weekend getaway.  While we were strolling around town, we wandered into Huck's General Store and I hit the root beer jackpot.  I picked up 7 new brews that I'd never tried, many of which I'd never even heard of before.  They probably had another 5 or 6 root beers in the cooler that I had already reviewed.  If you're ever in the Blue Ridge area of north GA, be sure to stop in at Huck's to load up on new brews.

When I opened this bottle, I noticed a nice, close-to-traditional root beer scent.  It was not particularly rooty or spicy, but I picked up some vanilla and something else.  That something may have been honey, since the label prominently announces that this brew is made with pure honey.  The pour produced a small head.  The head didn't last long, but it was of the foamy/frothy variety while it lasted.  That's worth a few points right there.

The first sips indicate a decent carbonation level, sort of middle-of-the-road.  There is a small bite in this one.  The bite doesn't last long and it isn't due to the carbonation.  There really aren't many bubbles forming on the sides of the glass, but I do notice the smaller bubbles when I take a few swigs.

This one is creamy, but not too much.  Definitely taste vanilla in there, along with the honey they mentioned.  It's pretty smooth.  The carbonation is hanging around a good while as I work my way through this one.  I don't notice any licorice or wintergreen in there, so it just picked up a couple more bonus points.

I'll even give it another bonus point for the cool label.

Overall, I think this is an okay brew.  I don't think I'd go out of my way to get more, but if offered one I'd readily accept it.  I'd probably serve it to friends, and if I had easy access to more I might buy a few more bottles.

I've given this one a bunch of middle-of-the-road comments, so it should probably get that same kind of score.  I'll give this one a......77

Who else has tried Old Dominion?  What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment