Welcome!

Welcome to the Root Beer Rundown. Over the last few years, I've had a lot of fun drinking a lot of root beer and posting my root beer reviews for your reading pleasure. Use the tools on the right to see the complete history of my reviews, find all the brews within a given scoring range, or simply search for your favorite brew to see if it's one I've reviewed. I always like to hear what other root beer lovers like and dislike about different brews, so feel free to sound off in the comments of the reviews. I've also provided some links to a few other great root beer resources. Let me know if I've missed any so I can add them to the list. Enjoy the site!

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Point Premium Root Beer



Who Made This Stuff? The Stevens Point Brewery, Stevens Point, WI

Where’d It Come From? I don’t know…some grocery store in WI.

Review Date: 5/5/08

Commentary: I had my concerns about how realistic this review could be since this bottle of Point had been sitting in the fridge for several months. I must confess that I had actually forgotten it was in there. I was afraid that its age might have a negative impact on the taste, but I soon learned that I had nothing to fear. 

WOW! This is one great root beer! Creamy, creamy, creamy, and just the right amount of sweetness…must be that “pure Wisconsin honey”. The list of ingredients says it includes cane sugar “and/or” fructose corn sweetener. “And/or”? Maybe it depends on the day of the week, or maybe just what kind of mood the brewer is in when he gets to this item on the recipe card. I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he used cane sugar when he made my bottle. 

When I poured it in the mug, the head wasn’t anything special--kinda on the smallish side--but it did do me the courtesy of hanging around for a little while, which I appreciated. It was the nice foamy kind too, not the kind you get from any other soda. You can really pick up the vanilla, but other than that, no other ingredient really jumps out and slaps you around. No real bite here, just smoooooooothness. It could use a little more carbonation, but this one has so much other stuff going for it that I’m willing to look past that little fault. The Point Brewery also makes a few other premium soda flavors, but I’ve not tried any of them…yet. I’m still having too much fun drinking all this root beer. 

As for this bottle of Point Premium Root Beer, I’ll give it……….88.

Have you tried Point? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment